Sunday, November 15, 2015

Not surprised...

Somehow I wasn't surprised.

Not in any way.

When Tim and Madeleine Welton had me photograph Child No. 1 two years ago, I learned quickly that she was about as fine of a young lady as you'll find.

Miss Lauren set the bar extremely high.

So when Team Welton was back just two years later with Child No. 2, young Mr. Samuel... the expectations proceeded his session.

Being a member of the East Marshall community, I was somewhat aware of Sam and his standing.   But, to be fair, I reserved judgment until getting to know him better at his session.

Needless to say, Sam did nothing but live up to Welton family standards. 

Like his sis, the common thread of a love for music was there.   Lauren sings like a songbird, and Sam brought in his sweet guitar for some images.  

While I knew that both kids were well thought of by their peers (Lauren:  East Marshall Homecoming Queen 2013,  Sam: EM Homecoming King 2015) I learned some of the reasons why.   Even before his folks showed up to the session a few minutes late, Sam and I were already at it, getting things done, and the young man stood toe-to-toe with me in discussing a variety of topics and wasn't afraid to give a firm handshake and look ya right in the eye.

I would guess that much of that comes from his military training.   Mr. Welton is already a member of the Army National Guard, which doesn't probably come as much of a surprise either, as most know that his father, Tim is an Army recruiter, Sergeant First Class.

Tim recruited my son-in-law, Tyler Sawyer, and clearly convinced his own son to do the same... so we had plenty to talk about there.   Naturally the Weltons wanted to catch up with how the newly married Mr. and Mrs. Sawyer were getting along out in Omaha... and I had to get filled in as to how Miss Lauren was doing at Iowa State University and what her brother was planning on doing upon graduation.

This was one of those sessions where it was like a four hour gab-fest where we happened to work in a few images along the way.   Mama Maddie still calls me "The Boss" (I think she's the only one in the world who refers to me that way... but it works for me!) and Papa Tim was Johnny-on-the-spot the entire session with being my right hand man holding reflectors (presumably to ensure that the job got done correctly and in a timely fashion).   

Naturally, we saved the best for last on this day when same jumped in his Army Combat Uniform (or ACU's) to cap off the session.   As if he didn't already look B.A. enough, we worked in his combat rifle and some additional body armor to add to the effect. And if that wasn't enough, I knew that Grandma Joanie would appreciate it if I found a way to work in The Stars and Stripes.    Not only did we do that in real life as Samuel is holding Old Glory for a few images, but I took the liberty (pun intended) to add in the red-white-n-blue in our post-production as well.  

With the week we've had that included another celebration of Veteran's Day and yet another global attack on our freedom by terrorists, it seems that it's never been more important that we have young men and women that are willing to step up and sacrifice for our country.   My own shortcomings make me marvel as how an individual comes to this decision to give so selflessly, and I just wanted to take a minute to thank not only Sam and his father, but all servicemen and women (and their families that sacrifice back home when they're gone) for their gifts to our way of life.

God bless you and our country..













No comments: